Don,

WHOOOOOOOOOOSH...! !

(Sound of joke going right past me...  Who is FUBU?)

If I had ears like Dumbo, (and this is proof-positive they're not all THAT
big as I think) I'da been lifted off my chair... ROFLMAO...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seriously, another GREAT joke, because it's true:  "VA Linux drops the Linux
from its name"
(http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO66513,00.html).  Now
VA-by-whatever-name OWNS SourceForge, they OWN Andover Media/SlashDot
(AFAIK), and they OWN one of the three primaries in Linux/FSF/OSI...  (OK,
ESR says they don't OWN him, but they gave him at least 15,000 shares,
valued at $43M on IPO...  But I'm not gonna split hairs with someone I don't
know.)

What does this event tell ya...?

It tells me the same thing as the fact the it's CALLED "Open" Source, but
Linus is basically a dictator, unless he's changed a WHOLE lot over the past
year or so.  There's appearances, and there's things-as-it-is...

Obviously, another thing I'm sick and tired of is "Open" Source...

>From yesterday's "The Open Source" e-newsletter by InfoWorld's Russell
Pavlicek:  "WHAT WOULD LIFE be like if everything you did was signed? Every
action, every professional accomplishment, every faux pas you ever committed
would have your name on it. ... But complete accountability is a way of life
in the open-source community."

I'm sick and tired of bull-hocky crap like this.  Since when did "Open"
Source co-opt professional accountability...?!?!?  HOW did THIS happen...?

What is the direct linkage between "Open" Source and accountability, to
where it's a primary feature of ONLY "Open" Source and you NEED "Open"
Source in order to have professional accountability.  Why is this considered
something new, when I and most programmers I know have been doing this for
20 years...?  We've ALWAYS signed/initialed our change log entries.

I give up...

But I thin' the answer is that someone started out with the conclusion that
you need "Open" Source, and worked backwards to the facts that support this
conclusion...  Just more bull-hocky, IMV...

Now, to express this POV is to imply I don't see ANY advantages to OSS...
That's not so much the case, as it's a case of me seeing an AWFUL LOT of the
perceived advantages as being extremely over-sold...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE FOLLOWING IS SOMETHING LIKE ADVERTISING, however there are NO firm
commitments intended or implied:

"I plan" to write an e-book, and should have the mechanics in place shortly,
or at least around the first of the year.  I hope to write
mini-white-papers, approximately 10 pp, one per week (although this will
vary, as some things can't be rushed).  This first chapter will be an
analysis of "Open" Source, and will be free.  After that, while the book is
a WIP, there will be a cost of only $1 per chapter, but you'd hafta buy ALL
the chapters.. not pick and choose certain chapters you want.  ("I plan" for
the book to be available as a PDF download, also, but will have to see...)

===> To encourage early sales, and get some cash-flow for other projects,
you'll be able to buy the ENTIRE book for whatever the price is when you
first opt-in...  IOW, the ENTIRE book will cost $1, after Chapter 2 is
written.. $2 after Chapter 3 is written...  Don't know, for certain, how
many chapters (if any) the book will end up, but expect it to end up under
$50.

I think what will/would be neat is that there will be a discussion group for
each chapter, and the chapters will be edited, as a result, before your very
eyes...!  Anyone's gonna be welcome to suggest a future chapter, otherwise
I'll draw inspiration from the media and these lists...  (I don't know, yet,
what Chapter 2 will be about.)

I'll explain my theories of good systems development, but will try to
concentrate on past and current experience, rather than a lot of theory...
I'll tell you what I've seen in my experience (and highlight the areas where
that experience is limited).  I'll add my interpretation these things, and
how I'd do things differently, how I plan on doing them in the future, and
what (IMHO) are better and worse ways of attacking common kinds of
problems.. yada, yada, yada...

But, in any event, you'll make your own judgments about what's best for
you...  I'm just gonna relate what I think has worked best for me, and not
so much what I think is gonna work for ALL others, in ALL situations
(because your situation is gonna be different than mine, anyway)...

Plans having a way of working out different that what you'd think, in
advance, you can believe it when you see it... ;D

jt