You would not have been happy how they would have had to modify WRKOBJ to
get that flexibility.  Would you like having to key the following into the
library parameter:  '/qsys.lib/mylib.lib'?  I think not.
Modifying the object types would have been easier.  I hope you know that
mylib.lib would have an object type of *LIB.  Then they could have added
*EXE, *XLS, *DOC, etc.  Of course, for those really long extensions I would
have been satisfied with *all.
What about all those API's which claim to be just like WRKOBJ?  The field
sizes would have all changed - probably to varying length.

Nope - I think I prefer the separate commands than mongerfying WRKOBJ.

Rob Berendt

==================
Benjamin Franklin

                    "jt" <jt@ee.net>
                    Sent by:                  To:     <midrange-l@midrange.com>
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       cc:
                    drange.com                Fax to:
                                              Subject:     RE: CPY instead of
CRTDUPOBJ ? (was: CD Burning software?)

                    12/12/2001 03:21 PM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

Rob,

Sorry to have to disagree again.  I see your points and, while I don't know
the IFS commands like I know the others, I have found some have more
flexibility and/or new capabilities.

However, I draw a different conclusion.  Why did we need a WRKLNK in the
first place?  We already had WRKOBJ.

I suspect because some wheel needed re-invented, rather than improving the
original.  I have a serious problem with this viewpoint if it is, indeed,
the case.

I agree completely that there is no real need or value for having two
versions of all these commands, however.  But if they wanted to "force" me
to get exposed to the IFS, an easier way would have been to modify WRKOBJ
**to include** that functionality, rather than force me to remember subtle
differences between what are basically duplicate commands.

JMHO.

jt

| |
| |
| | david,
| |
| | MNSHO:  written by *nix gearhead...
| |
| | I've seen similar examples in CA OLE/DB sample code.  I think
| they prefer
| | the generic commands and specifying objects in IFS notation.
| | Can't see the
| | sense of it myself, although I didn't look at this specific
| example code.
| |
| | jt
| |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| >http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/optical/cdrom/lodrunlp.htm
| | |
| | | Ok, bit of confusion here ... on the above web page they
| | reference copying
| | | a program ... but they use IFS CPYcommand to do the copy instead
| | | of regular
| | | CRTDUPOBJ.
| | |
| | | Any ideas why?
| | |
| | | david
| | |
| | | --
| | | |
| | |
| | | Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
| | | at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.
| | |
| |