thomas@inorbit.com wrote:

> Brad:
>
> On Sat, 08 December 2001, "Brad Jensen" wrote:
>
> > And it doesn't use LODRUN - my guys think that program is a
> > security breach
>
> Your product doesn't utilize LODRUN? or LODRUN cannot be used with your
>product? I wouldn't be surprised by the former; but the latter would
>jeopardize wide acceptance in the future and doesn't seem to make sense anyway.

Mine doesn't require it, but it can be used (thanks to Albarsa
for pointing this out, and my tech guy agrees.)

> Now, I imagine few who create distribution CDs would use your product for
>some time to come. There simply wouldn't be many sites to distribute them to,
>i.e., very few sites could process such CDs. (That has nothing to do with
>whether your product is any good; it simply takes time for market penetration.)

I don't understand any site with a cd reader on their As/400 can
read these cds, whether they use LODRUN or RSTLIB/RSTOBJ

> And because of that, support for LODRUN seems irrelevant for the foreseeable
>future.

I'm not following you.

> However, I'd sure like to know HOW your product managed _not_ to support
>LODRUN -- if that's what you meant.

it's what I thought I meant, but I was wrong. All LODRUN does is
load a program from the Cd and run it, and that program copies
the files from the CD.

> And I'd certainly like to know specific perceived security issues with LODRUN
> that might not be true with alternatives to LODRUN.
>
> Tom Liotta

I think I misunderstood my tech guy, to a degree, as I seiad the
conversation was in 1998. His point then (and now) is that
security conscious people will generally want to reste the
libraries themselves, rather than using ann untested vendor
program.

Some of you disagree.

--
Brad Jensen brad@elstore.com
President

LaserVault Report Retrieval & Data Mining
www.Laservault.com

www.eufrates.com - Add distance learning to
your site with easy course preparation