James,

I've read this thread, and I'm still not seeing how Unix is easier to admin
than iSeries.

I wonder if this is a case of you knowing Unix better, and are more
comfortable with it.  In another post, you mentioned "tcsh, bash, top,
ncurses, worm (whee!), etc." (that they wouldn't run on a 400).  Ignoring
the issue of whether these would run, or whether there are 400
equivalents...  I find these things to be completely counter-intuitive.  And
unless things have improved a lot, the idea of memorizing command switches
doesn't fly, with me anyway.

I gather there are a lot of wonderful applications on *nix, and I hope to
learn more about this stuff.  But I'm afraid I'm probably gonna have to wait
until there is some consistency to naming commands, and CL-like help to the
command switches, before I do.  I just don't have THAT kind of time on my
hands...

I obviously know more about a 400, so maybe some flavors of *nix offer
something similar to the consistency of CL commands and the command
prompter...  If there are, I'd like to hear about 'em..

jt