We use GO SAVE now in which each option 21 etc. has its counterpart in GO
RESTORE I think.  Option 21 is advertised to get everything except what is
listed on the first screen before you adjust the standard options ... you
might like to start Save 21 & print the screen listing what is not saved,
then cancel the save. ... OS/400, user applications.

You can learn a lot by F1 on GO SAVE menu, or move the cursor to the line
that has the option that interests you, then do F1.

There is a chart some place from IBM that shows what each option does & does
not do & what restore you use to recover the opposite.

We used to do GO BACKUP until a few years ago.

When we switched 400 boxes a few years ago, we used a GO SAVE 21 multi-volume
tape on the old box, because the new box had an incompatible tape drive (we
used to have a pair of tape drives on the old box) then that was used by our
CE to install on the new box with allowance for the fact that some OS/400
details were different on the new box ... basically he installed the
different OS/400 stuff on the new box first, then the restore only replaced
what was missing from the new box which was mainly our tailoring & our
applications.

Heaven forbid, we do have to restore something on average of once every few
months.  Someone deleted a query they thought no one used & they were wrong.
Someone took a wrong option on a document & deleted it instead of updating
it.  New software being tested had results worse than anyone imagined.

Yes we can restore individual objects.
Restore took a hell of a lot longer for just the one object than save
everything, until we learned some stuff about tape drive care & feeding ...
tapes processed much faster when tape drive cleaned more often than IBM
reccommends & if you use the dual tapes which do not need to be retentioned.

>  From:    the400man@hotmail.com (Rick Rayburn)
>
>  Referring to the GO SAVE operations menu...we are trying to back up both
> our system and application - based data in preparation of a disc drive
>  replacement.
>
>  Does the "ENTIRE SYSTEM" option (21) save both system stuff (e.g. usrprf,
>  authority, config) as well as system and user libraries?
>
>  If, heaven forbid, a restore situation arises, can all of the appropriate
>  commands (e.g. rstaut, rstconfig, rstusrprf, rstlib, rstobj, rstdoc, etc.)
>  be executed from that tape without any extra considerations?
>
>  Does option 22, Save System data, perform the equivalent of the old SAVSYS?
>  If not, what option on this menu does?
>
>  Thanks much.
>
>  Rick Rayburn

BPCS 405 CD Manager / Programmer @ Global Wire Technologies Incorporated