Just like to add:  in my current situation, *I* might be interested in a
product like this.  But if I was running a shop, I'd be leery.  I still
might take a look, depending on the size of the shop, the budget, etc...

| |
| |
| |
| | Savlib's to save files with DTACPR(*Yes) is significantly smaller than
| | without.
| |
| | Well, I see a recent post about how reliable CD's are.  However
| I seem to
| | recall a post not too long ago disputing that fact.
| |
| | As far as data on CD's being standard.  Let's see we have standard CD's,
| | mini CD's, DVD,...
| |
| | We would be nervous.  For one thing, we like the support of
| IBM.  We keep
| | current on OS's and cum's in ways we can't even discuss.  Risking our
| | backup while waiting for a fix for a third party while we wait for the
| | finger pointing to die down ain't our bag - been there, done that -
| | replaced many disk drives.
| |
| | Having a PC control our backup - no way.
| |
| | Wondering how long a company may be in business.  Wondering how
| | long it may
| | take to get a backup drive in a disaster situation.  Not really
| hungry to
| | try these.
| |
| | Rob Berendt
| |
| | ==================
| | "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
| | safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
| | Benjamin Franklin
| |
| |
| |
| |                     Brad Jensen
| |                     <brad@elstore.com>        To:
| | midrange-l@midrange.com
| |                     Sent by:                  cc:
| |                     midrange-l-admin@mi       Fax to:
| |                     drange.com                Subject:
| | Writing multiple CD volumes for the AS/400?
| |
| |
| |                     12/04/2001 05:54 PM
| |                     Please respond to
| |                     midrange-l
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | I have a neat little product, Niagra CD Recorder, that plugs
| | into an AS/400 and looks like a tape dirve. You savlib to it, it
| | writes it out to a CD Recorder.
| |
| | One problem is that I don't know how to make multiple-CD
| | volumes, so if the savlib is over 650 MB, I can't do it on
| | multipler CDs. What I mean is, I know how to do it, I just don't
| | know what IBM expects as a signal on the CD that the volume is
| | continued on the next CD.
| |
| | Anybody know, or know who to ask at IBM, or where to get info?
| |
| | I looked for a redbook that tells this, if it is out there I
| | haven't found it. (No surprise.)
| |
| | Second is I have been doing some savlibs thru this to a PC disk,
| | and ZIP compressing them. Library of program souce and object
| | code compress about 60%. Librarys full of database files
| | compress up to 94%!
| |
| | (That AS/400, not PC/INS stuff).
| |
| | Which means you could backup as much as 10 gigabytes of data on
| | a CD (they cost about 25 cents to 50 cents.)
| |
| | You cannot read that CD on an AS/400 directly, but - but - there
| | are c libraries to do this sort of compression. If IBM would put
| | the decompression in the AS/400 side, I would use the same on my
| | side to create the CDs.
| |
| | And the other thing I can do is stand in the middle between the
| | tape connection and the CD, and transparently decompress it (and
| | fix my multiple volume problem also.)
| |
| | (Pat pending.)
| |
| | Would you guys be neervous about using CDs as a backup format?
| | Would you be okay with using them in my 'drive' (actually a PC
| | with SCSI connection and CD/RW) rather than directly on the
| | AS/400 if they are over 650 MB?
| |
| | This has been in use for about 4 years by the way. We never got
| | excited about it because of the capacity problems.
| |
| | Brad Jensen
| |
| | ESC - We bring strange things to life
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | --
| | Brad Jensen brad@elstore.com
| | President
| | Electronic Storage Corporation Tulsa OK USA
| | 918-664-7276
| |
| | LaserVault Report Retrieval & Data Mining
| | www.Laservault.com
| |