Janet

I came across a possibility several years ago & began investigating but soon
found that it was outside my budget, so I not remember precise names of the
products involved (there were several competing vendors).  I called it TEST
SCRIPTING.

When doing something on AS/400 from a PC, you had this PC software running in
the background capturing keystrokes & screen images, creating a SCRIPT which
could then be used in testing.  You change the programs, run the script, are
the results what are expected?  You can go into the script using LIKE word
processing, more like PDM text editing, and change the options that the
script might expect.

There were classes in how to use the script capabilities for automated
testing of major conversions.  I really really wanted this in Y2K testing,
where we might update thousands of programs in a few months, but time &
budget only allowed for random testing.

With these scripts, you can build on them.
Before modification, someone run a program through its paces.
We now change the script to say the program needs to support certain other
options.
We use the script to run the revised program through all options, all ranges
of data, which for an end user can be tedious.
We save the script in a library by program name for the next time that
program needs revision & new testing.

My vague recollection was that UPI had one of the test scripting packages &
classes in it for people doing BPCS/400 modifications, but I do not remember
what the name of their package was.
http://www.unbeatenpathintl.com/

I would not be surprised if Help Systems ROBOT has something of relevance.
www.helpsystems.com

When it comes to testing whether we have correctly connected legacy to the
web with all security protected, I would not be surprised if LANSA or their
competition has some kind of security audits.

> From: janetemil@hotmail.com (janet emil)
>
>  Hi All,
>
>  One of our testers wants to have a utitly to help her in testing.  In order
>  to be able to design the test case, she has to make about 5 Inquiries
>  throught the system menu. She is thinking of a macro to automate the
>  process...She wants it to accept from her the Enquiry values...run the
>  appropiate options from the AS/400 application menu and then document the
>  the enquiries screen by copying and pasting them into a word document.
>
>  I don't know if this is applicable (by doing not too much work throught the
>  as/400 or through emulation macros)or not...?
>
>  if yes...then How....??..(All the users are connected via Extra Enterprise
>  2000 emulation to the AS/400)
>
>  Any suggestion is very much appreciated
>  thanks
>  Janet