I'll give you an easy out...  I signed a document that stated because of the
after-effects of anesthesia, I was considered legally drunk the rest of the
day, and could not make any legal agreements...  So FWIW:

I haven't heard of the "events happening to CE's" your talking about, Don,
but I heard about the rest...

IBM may very well want the entire computer industry to move to Linux, so
they can have a single OS to deal with...  I dunno...

I DO know that the market won't /necessarily/ follow IBM's direction in all
cases, especially if this is their intended direction.  It fits in well with
Linus' stated goal of "world domination".  But I've always felt that if the
OS was THAT good, then why does the world need to be "dominated" by it...

Ya.. I heard about the e3000...  I haven't posted everything I've written,
but I was pretty sure I posted that this /could/ very well turn out to be an
*opportunity* for iSeries...  These customers are NOT enchanted by HP's
suggestions to move to one of their other platforms..  They're already loyal
to the concept of running on a "proprietary" OS...  Some will be guh-shy of
that approach now, but...  Looks to be a ton of in-house CBL apps that will
need to be converted or replaced by packages...  A lot of us know how fun it
is replacing your entire custom-built business logic with a package...;-)
ICBW, but I smell an opportunity...

BTW, Amdahl and Fujistu bailed out of the mainframe market, leaving zSeries
the market all to themselves...  I don't follow the mainframe world that
closely, but I haven't heard these events described as bad news for
mainframe shops (although it obviously removes a lot of the downward price
pressures on IBM).

Could be the views of a drunk, but I held basically the same views
yesterday...

However, I'm not so bad off that I can be sanguine about Chuck's post...

I'd sure /hope/ all the folks in Rochester can find spots in other areas of
the company...  Especially if they are iCitizens...  But I agree with
Chris...  And I agree with you completely, Don: it comes down to
marketing...  I've already posted my views on the subject to the
iSN-Citizens list.  Maybe this will give some IBMers incentive to join both
the iNation and this list...  ?

jt