I've had similar problems with WAR FTPD servers.   It's not the AS/400's
FTP, either... any TCP session will have problems with WAR FTPD whenever
WAR sends a large message or file to the AS/400.

This is PURELY a guess, based on some network sniffing that I did to
try to troubleshoot the problem, but: The  problem appears to be that WAR
assumes that data sent over TCP/IP will always arrive in 1500 byte
packets, and does not correctly follow the standards that allow TCP to
work over any size packet.  Since the AS/400's  networking usually uses a
576 byte packet, it cannot talk to a WAR FTPD.

To solve this problem, I ran an FTP proxy on a PC, and I have the AS/400
connect to the WAR daemon via the proxy.   Yes, it's a hack, but the FTP
server was run by a customer who doesn't believe me when I explain the
problem.  They say that "it works for everyone else."   Of course,
everyone else is running Windows.

Good luck :)