From: Bernd Schaefers [mailto:bschaefers@gmx.net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 12:47 PM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: protect your system from altered or "patched" MI programs...

In the cover letter I expected the usual  "Integrity problem" with no
further comment, but:

PTF#:MF27442 - OPERATING SYSTEM/400
Licensed Program:5769999
APAR Fixed:MA24394
Release:450

Abstract
LIC-INCORROUT INTERNAL DATA MODIFIED BY MI PROGRAM

Pre/Co-Requisite PTF / Fix List
REQ  LICENSED      PTF/FIX  LEVEL
TYPE PROGRAM  REL  NUMBER   MIN/MAX  OPTION
---- -------- ---  -------  -------  ------
PRE  5769999  450  MF27443   00/00    0000

APAR Error Description / Circumvention
DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM FIXED FOR APAR MA24394 :

  Altered or "patched" MI programs may modify
  SLIC internal structures causing unpredictable results.

CORRECTION FOR APAR MA24394 :
-----------------------------

  This PTF will help protect your system from altered or "patched"
  MI programs and the security and system integrity exposures
  relating to such programs.  This PTF may be a prerequisite for
  future PTFs.  Application of this PTF may disable or render
  ineffective programs that use system memory addresses not
  generated by the IBM translator, including programs that
  circumvent control technology designed to limit interactive
  capacity to purchased levels.  By applying this PTF you
  authorize and agree to the foregoing.

CIRCUMVENTION FOR APAR MA24394 :
--------------------------------

  None.

Activation Instructions
  None.

Special Instructions
  None.

Default Instructions
  THIS IS A DELAYED PTF TO BE APPLIED AT IPL TIME.

Supersedes
PTF/FIX NO(S).  APAR TITLE LINE
--------------  -----------------------------------------------------------
  MF24404      LIC-WAIT DEADLOCK CAUSED SYSTEM HANG DURING NORMAL OPERATION

Summary Information
System................. AS/400
Models.................
Release................ V4R5M0
Recompile.............. N
Library................ QSYS
MRI Feature............ NONE

IBM disclaims all warranties, whether express or implied, including, but not
limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a
particular purpose. By furnishing this document, IBM grants no licenses to
any related patents or copyrights. Copyright (c) 1994, 1995, 1996,1997,1998
IBM Corporation. Any trademarks and product or brand names referenced in
this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your
product manuals for complete trademark information.

--
Understanding is a three-edged sword