Tom,

Thanks.

I seriously question one statement you wrote "NT servers are pretty common
in the same network and necessary skills aren't hard to come by."  I
actually agree, completely, with what you've said, and this is obviously one
of the prime selling points of NT.  I think it's a question of how you
define "necessary skills".  One of the, maybe subtle, points I've been
writing about (or maybe around...;-) is that NT hasn't existed long enough
for those poor sods to have accumulated anything close to the kind of wisdom
that I see here on this list daily.

Plenty of technical folks in the NT world.  I don't think that suffices.
The strength of 400 people, or a fair number of them, is that rare
combination of people skills, technical skills and business skills.  I
shouldn't imply that acquiring these skills takes a lifetime.  But I've
worked with plenty of 400 folks who were extremely technical, but to a
degree, ineffective.  Great code is just fluff, IMHO, if it doesn't produce
a competitive advantage for the employer/client.  Great code is just fluff,
if it doesn't effectively solve a business problem.  (I'm thinking of a
follow-up to your insights on the SPLF thread, as an example.)

I /have/ noticed that this combination of people, technical and business
skills seems to be fairly common amongst people on this list here, and it
appears most of these people have 10, 15, 20 and even more, years of
experience.  I think there are a number of things working against this in
the NT world, but primary is that these folks (from my POV) frequently don't
appear to have made it all the way "around the block", so to speak.

One thing the 400 and NT have in common is being used in smaller companies.
I think folks who've worked in smaller shops and/or management have, by
necessity, learned to wear many hats.

I see the technical points you made below.  You wrote "I'm not sure how many
CA client PTFs are ever included in cume packages any more."  I was working
on the assumption they *all* were.  Not so...?

jt