<I have somehow accumulated 16 items in my Drafts folder.  I think it's
called lack of focus.  Sheesh...  If I've unintentionally neglected to reply
to someone's post, and it's important, please give me a reminder.>

Reeve, Greg

I agree, "well said".

And I agree this is the way it should be.

But I don't know that IBM can accomplish what you're looking for.  Like you
said, Software Group develops the AD Tools.  They're just a sister-company
of Server Group.  And they service all of IBM.  They do not, and may never,
understand the 400 like the original group that developed the RPGIII
compiler and AD Tools.  The integration of hardware and OS is still there.
But as you said, primarily due to the corporate structure of IBM, the
integration of hardware, OS, languanges and AD Tools is not there, like it
was.

Thus, the languages and AD tools come out of Toronto...  Now, these days,
distance means nothing, in theory.  In actual practice, your talking a wide
gap in mindset.  JMHO.  You should, in theory, be able to develop tools
seemlessly integrated with the OS, from talent gathered from all over the
world.  But in actual practice, I just don't see that kind of integration,
like the 38 had.

Maybe some day...?

But then again, the entire industry is waving the flags of Java, OSS, or M$.
So IBM puts their resources into what the entire industry is calling for.
Who, in the industry, is pointing to RPG as a viable option...?

Now I've been hearing about OSS saving the day an awful lot lately.  I've
been hearing about Java saving the day for years.  M$ (and OO) for
decades...  Personally, I'm still waiting for all this to get sorted out.

But what I don't hear mentioned much, is RPG.. in the industry.  So IBM
reacted by turning RPG into C (keeping the strong I/O features)...  I
certainly don't blame IBM.. It's their job to both go with, and lead, the
industry trends.  I don't know that I agree with it, but that's where the
industry keeps pointing towards.

jt