Okay, my replies are interspersed.  Good luck.

What I'm looking for is the ability to page up and down the list of fields,
selecting the ones I want, hitting the ENTER key and having all of those
fields jump to the top of the list.  I worded my request EXTREMELY poorly,
forgive me.

> >> 2.  SQL report wrapping.  I don't even know if you can do
> anything about
> >> this.  If a record is beyond 132 characters, instead of
> wrapping the
> extra
> >> data to a second line, a completely different spool file
> is created.
> It's
> >> tougher than nails to try to follow a report like that when it's on
> several
> >> different pages.  And if you want to print the data for only one
> 1024-byte
> >> record, you end up with TONS of unused paper.
>
> I suppose I could create a print file that allows the entire
> record to be
> queried to a single report, but the reality is you might not
> have a printer
> wide enough to print it!  Is this what you are looking for?
> Why send the
> SQL to *PRINT if it can't be printed?

Well, what I'm looking for is the ability to use SQL to print specific
records.  If I have a long record, it just seems kinda goofy and wasteful to
print 10 pages, each with 1 line of data on it.  I'm not looking for a
completely different print file, just the ability to save a tree or two.
And not have to staple pages together when a single page would do.  I'm the
conservative type.

> >> 3.  Ability to "set" the number of records read before
> pausing during a
> >> search.  Right now, when searching, the search pauses
> after reading 500
> >> records.  Sometimes that's just not enough when I know the
> records I
> want
> >> are toward the end of the file.
>
> Go to the WRKDBF command line and key in "SCAN xxxxx"
> (without the quotes)
> where "xxxxx" is some number from 1 to 99999.  This will
> change the scan
> limit for that session.  (I am considering either expanding
> the default
> scan limit or making it user-configurable).
>
> Bill

Oooh, cool!  Didn't know that.  Thanks for that tip.  and yes,
user-configurable would be preferred.

Dave