I  absolutely agree the  key   component  here is V5R1  Now if you  are
going to  do Linix then ..... different  requirements story. IBM  published
a  wonderful table for  this type question.

         820 /2395 is ISTAR  and 820/2435 is  newer SSTAR.

         Glenn Ericson

At 03:51 PM 11/15/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>You CAN do fractional LPAR with an 820-2395 IF you run V5R1 on it. The 2435
>is an SStar processor that requires V5R1 and can also do fractional LPAR on
>the 820.  Please be aware that if you are going to do fractional LPAR with
>a uni-processor machine that all OS/400 partitions must run V5R1.  The 2435
>is obviously a bigger processor (CPW, MHz etc) so if you can do that with
>V5R1 you may want to go ahead with that route.
>
>Do you happen to recall where you got the information that says you needed
>the 2435 to do fractional LPAR?
>

>Kevin E. Mort
>---------------------
> > Message: 13
> > Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 14:37:33 -0600
> > From: Jeffry Kennedy <jkennedy@certcoinc.com>
> > To: midrange-l@midrange.com
> > Subject: Re: LPAR Planning

> > --
> > I was told today that if we upgrade our 720/2061 to an 820/2395 that I
>need the ISTAR (820/2435) processor to use to use fractional LPAR. This is the
>first time I've heard that. The ISTAR processor increase the upgrade cost by
>about $15K, with no gain on the interactive CPW.

Glenn Ericson
Ph. (718)898-9805
<mailto:Glenn-Ericson@att.net>mailto:Glenn-Ericson@att.net