Evan,

At 11/10/01 09:14 AM +1300, you wrote:
>CFINT is merely IBM's way of saying "if you choose to do things in the
>traditional old-fashioned way, I'm gonna reap the maximum benefit".

  I think that that's a "dirty trick"!  How would you feel if, when you
decided to add another module to your primary software package (remember
that you are paying for the new software), the vendor said that you now had
to pay a new premium for your existing software!!!  This is how /400
customers view the tax.

>Whether we agree with this or not, we do have the option of re-engineering
>our architecture - it's a question of whether we choose to invest in R&D
>for our applications (and thereby get  out from under the so called "tax"
>or shell out for hardware and stay stuck with it.

  The legal, moral, business arguments can go on forever, but the bottom
line for future sales is perception.  If the customer base feels cheated in
any way, then sales will suffer.

  -mark