Nathan,

Ya...  I've tusseled with Chris' inscrutable logic a time or two, myself...!
But if you're looking for an argument from me, your out of luck.  You make
too many good points, yourself...!

But still, I feel there is room for niche players, in the iSeries software
market.  I sure wouldn't want to go toe to toe with IBM.  But I know you've
been around long enough to have witnessed what Windoze did to OS/2...
Finding the right balance between price, performance, and perception is the
key.  Having the technically superior product is a help, but that obviously
doesn't mean it gonna take the market by storm.

We may end up with a dozen or so massive computer utility suppliers, to
handle all the industry's needs.  But that day ain't here yet...  I hope to
be retired before that day, and/or the day they pull the plug on the last
400 on the planet...;-)

BTW, Nathan...  I don't recall that you've ever posted how long you've been
on the platform.  But I can gather you've been around long enough to have
witnessed the imminent demise of the 400, several times over.  Remember when
the web, NT, C/S and LANS, Windoze and even IBM's own RS/6000 were all
projected to put the 38/400/i into the grave...?  I show my age, but I
vaguely remember something called an RT/PC that threatened the 38...  (I
thin...?)  Anyhoo, the platform has nine lives, there's no doubt.  No
crystal balls to tell if it's currently on it's ninth life now, or not.

But what do you think, Nathan:  Doesn't this mostly depend on whatever the
follow-on product is to the iSeries...?

jt