I think the CINT govenor itself is what irritates people.

I'm sure a lot of people, including myself, see it as IBM not giving
us the best they can give us for our money.  It cost IBM so much
to make the hardware, that is a fixed cost.  It costs IBM the same
amount of money in hardware to give us a box with a certain rating
as it does some other company without limitation.

So, when IBM sticks in a govenor limiting the amount of hardware
we can use, people see it as a betrayal from IBM.  IBM is not giving
us the best they can give us for our dollars, but what IBM wants to
give us for our dollars.  We realize then, that if IBM wanted, perhaps
they could give us twice the processing power with no problem in the
same box, the only reason they aren't is because of the almighty
dollar.

Well, heck with that, lets switch to a PC solution where we get the
best we can for our dollar, because if company A doesn't give it to
us, they know company B will.

PC power is limited by current technology.  It takes a manufactuer
so much money to develop and produce a PC.  And they add their profit
onto that, and that's what we buy.  We can buy a $600 computer, a $1200
computer, a $2500 server or go hog wild and buy a $5000 server, and we
know that's the best we can get for our dollar.

With IBM, we pay so much money, and we get... what?  Not the best we
can get for our money for sure, there's this govenor artificially
limiting the hardware.  So apparently it's the best IBM *thinks* we
should be getting for our dollar.  Okay, so we could get unlimited
use of the CPU by paying more but.. you know?  I bet this still isn't
the best we could of got.  I bet IBM coulda spent the exact same
amount of money and make this machine twice as fast, but the only
reason they didn't is because they're stingy SOBs.

That's what ticks people off about the govenor.  No wonder the AS/400,
er, e-series, um iserver? is a one pony show.

Regards,

Jim Langston