Hi Folks,

FINALLY went from V4R1 to V4R5 this weekend and it went very well and
pretty fast !
After we came up it appeared everything was OK.

NOW I see that we have some devices at remote locations (network is
Frame Relay, TCP/IP, Ethernet, Perle Control Units, Cisco Routers) that
are not working. An example of the error message I am getting:

Session start request failed for device MA03 on controller MA010RMT00.
(CPF9366)

Message ID . . . . . . :   CPF9366       Severity . . . . . . . :
40       Message type . . . . . :
Diagnostic                                        Date sent  . . . . . .
:   11/05/01      Time sent  . . . . . . :
07:54:39
Message . . . . :   Session start request failed for device MA03 on
controller
MA010RMT00.
Cause . . . . . :   The request to start a session for a device MA03
on        controller MA010RMT00 using mode QRMTWSC on APPC device MA0102
failed. This  is a possible configuration
problem.                                       Recovery  . . . :   The
Mode QRMTWSC might be incorrect. Compare the active    number of
sessions with the configured session limit of mode QRMTWSC
(DSPMODSTS command). If they are equal, increase the maximum
sessions        (MAXSSN) parameter of the mode description (CHGMODD
command). Make sure the  maximum sessions (MAXSSN) and maximum
conversations (MAXCNV) parameters are  at least one greater than the
number of devices attached to controller       MA010RMT00. The locally
controlled sessions (LCLCTLSSN) should be equal to
   or greater than the number of devices attached to controller
MA010RMT00.        There might be a problem in the APPN
network.                                 Correct the problem and the
system will retry activation.                 Technical description . .
. . . . . . :   The request to start a new session    failed with
Systems Network Architecture (SNA) sense code X'00000000'. A      sense
code of 00000000 indicates that there is no sense code for this error
Descriptions of SNA sense codes are available in the IBM SNA
Formats,         GA27-3136 and in the APPN Support book,
SC41-5407.                              Check the QSYSOPR message queue
for message CPP1236. This message can       provide additional
information about the failure.

I have NO idea why this would happen or what V4R5 would have changed -
anyone ?

This includes one site completely down but I can ping the router AND
control unit with NO PROBLEMS...
And another site that has the MAJORITY of devices working except for
about 4 or 5.

All devices in both situations had LEFT hand cursor too !!

And at the site with most devices working, deleting one of the failed
decives and waiting a couple of minutes - the system recreates the
device and I get the SAME message for this newly created device ! Really
weird !

Thanks !

Chuck