Most of the weaker points you bring up are directly related to TCP/IP
and not DDM. Using a SDLC link requires none of the functions you refer
to. I have never see or heard of a DDM client, since DDM has existed
for at "least" the last 17 years and maybe before that. I first used
DDM on a pair of S/36's in 1983.