David,

Are you upgrading the 170 to a 270?  If so, then IBM will automatically
re-register your software and subscription for the new serial number.
Your 170 hardware not moved to the new machine would return to IBM.
Considering that you have paid for the licensed programs already and
would pay less for hardware, this could result in considerable savings,
particularly if you stay in the same pricing tier.  Software
subscription could also move.

If you were to purchase the new machine without an upgrade, then you
would be able to transfer the software to the new platform, I don't know
if you can transfer a software subscription without an upgrade.  In this
case, removal of the software from the 170 would be on the honor system,
although the licensing would prevent you from upgrading.

If the 270 is in a higher pricing tier than the 170, you would need to
pay the difference in either case for both software and software
subscription.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse