I'm not sure what was the last year I actually saw a IBM marketing rep.

Most that I knew were fired/downsized about four years ago. I'm sure
that selected national accounts still have a rep, but a walking around
sales rep that makes calls is long since been gone. The Business Partner
program was/is still in a shambles, and as far as I know, nobody is
actually knocking on doors to sell anything.

IBM Direct is the correct way to sell very advanced servers that cost
up to $1,000,000 or more.

For those that don't prefer buying from a color catalog, there is always
that killer web site. I think most current sales are a accident. In most
cases, the end user/customer actually calls and demands that IBM send
them a new box.(They get referred to a BP who has never heard of them)

As a percentage of sales, 13 years ago, new business was less than 30%.

I understand that number is still under 30%. Upgrades and replacements
make up the rest. Loyalty is the ONLY thing selling the box.