Nelson,

>> All you need to do is have the RPG program define
>> the structure as based and have your code attempt
>> to obtain a pointer to the space.  If it can't get
>> the pointer it creates the space, loads it and
>> then gets the pointer and off it goes.
>
> [Smith, Nelson]  How do you obtain a pointer to an
> existing object? Is there an api for this?

For accessing User Spaces & the data in them via a pointer, there is indeed
an API, QUSPTRUS*

To obtain a pointer for any object you can use ILE/RPG to access, via the C
runtime library, the MI function RSLVSP**

[*]Documented here;
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/html/as400/v5r1/ic2924/index.htm?info/apis/qus
ptrus.htm

[**]Documented here;