From: Joel R. Cochran
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2001 4:54 PM
To: 'nandelin@relational-data.com'
Subject: RE: CGIDEV2 performance versus Net.Data

Hey Nathan,

I know that we have exchanged many e-mails in the past about CGI and the
like.  I just wanted to let you know a couple things as they relate to the
way I've handled some of the same problems.

1) On our first server, a small 170 like yours, I got bit by the *NEW
problem a few times before I learned about activation groups.  We went
through a period of heavy activity for about a month and the poor old 400
just ground to a halt.  When I finally realized the problem and corrected it
the improvement was great.  I now use only named activation groups with my
CGI programs.

2) Originally I was having a problem where the 400 was creating too many
server instances to keep up with demand.  Even though I set the limits at
server start-up, by the end of the day they would still be maxed.  So I
wrote a quick little routine that performs nightly cleanup for the website.
Statistics tracking and the like, so I added a simple server shutdown and
restart.  As a natural side affect, my activation groups are fresh every
day.

3) One thing I've found is that if you perform an override database function
and then call a program outside the Activation Group that relies on that
override it won't work.  Seems that the Activation Groups don't really
communicate with each other, so I started being very careful concerning
which ones I name and which I use *CALLER.

Ciao,

Joel R. Cochran
Director of Internet Services
VamaNet.com