> My question is this: What would YOU suggest for developing
> browser-based applications on the 400?

Of course, I'd suggest Relational-Web (www.relational-data.com).  A plug for
my own product.  Actually, a more thoughtful answer would consider a bigger
picture.

The folks who buy Lansa and COOL often justify the investment by the logic
that a program generator is much faster than a programmer.  One the other
hand, some programmers point out that a few rather generic program patterns
(their own source code), can be applied to the task of building broadly
scoped appications quickly.  i.e. the program that maintains the customer
file is similar to the program that maintains the employee file.  My view is
that some programmers need the rather rigid structure provided by code
generators.  Other programmers are skillful enough to provide their own
structure.

Some Web applications are extremely simple.  For example, an HTML form that
prompts for a pager ID and a message, then calls a CL program to send the
message to the pager, then returns to some other page.  No need to track
state from one request to the next.  Performance and scalability are not a
concern.  For stuff like that, I'd recommend Net.Data, e-RPG, or Easy400
CGI.

As far as Java is concerned, I leave it to the real experts to define it.

Nathan M. Andelin
www.relational-data.com