A little additional research shows that there are specific translation
tables for the characters IDs.  Do a WRKTBL TBL(*ALL), and you'll see them.
For example, table Q037BF850 converts from character code 037 to 850 (there
are actually multiple, this is the best fit table).  Table Q850337037
converts back.  If someone got cute and changed one of the tables and not
the other, you would have this problem.

Joe