Hi Carsten,

I was mainly trying to figure out where you'd get one of these and how it's
different from a timestamp field in a physical file, which you've answered,
thanks.

While I was waiting for your reply, I did a google search at ibm.com and
found lots of references to DTS in AIX manuals. Those define it as
Distributed Time Service, so now I'm wondering if this is the format you
would receive from an atomic clock time server, as well as other API's and
MI instructions.

I'm also wondering if the 8-bytes are the same format that a physical file's
timestamp field is stored in. As I'm sure you know, although date fields
appear as a 10-byte formated field, even with DSPPFM, they are actually
stored as 4-byte Scaliger numbers. If that were true, would it be possible
to use a pointer-based field to convert it?

After a second or two of thought on that last question, probably not, since
RPG appears to internally store date & timestamp fields as the long
formatted version.

Regards,
Peter Dow
Dow Software Services, Inc.