Christ (scuse the language) I'm ready to kill someone. I attempted to use the
command as shown below, that is
NETSTST *CNN
and it came back with Procedure or command not found.
As I'm just a lowly programmer, I was thinking that I was'nt authorized to this
command, so I called our Information Security guys (they have an equivalent of
QSECOFR) for them to try this command. While I was on hold I realized that the
command should in fact be
NETSTAT *CNN instead (talk about not thinking clearly.)
Anyway, while I was still on hold I tried the correct command and it showed
nothin unusual for port 21(thank God).
At this time the Info Sec guy came on the phone. I explained that he was'nt
wanted, thanked him anyway, and was about to hang up. He then asked me why I
kept ending HIS FTP server.
Talk about pregnant pause with alarm bells.
To try and cut an already long story short, he has been testing the FTP
procedures this past couple of weeks, even though I was told that they could
not reach them til late September. It seems that each time that I had ended the
FTP sever, (while he was testing) he has immediately started it again.
I explained what I was trying to prove (or disprove). His remark was, that he
had already tested that when the FTP server is NOT running, you CANNOT ftp from
another platform.
So thanks to everyone, my apologies for creating more work for everyone
concerned.

>>> Chris Bipes <chris.bipes@cross-check.com> 09/14/01 12:18PM >>>
Alan,

Use the command NETSTST *CNN on your AS400 and see what is listening on port
21, the ftp port.  If your FTP server are truly ended, and staying ended.
If something is listening on this port, well someone has hacked your system.

Christopher K. Bipes      mailto:ChrisB@Cross-Check.com
Operations & Network Mgr  mailto:Chris_Bipes@Yahoo.com
CrossCheck, Inc.                  http://www.cross-check.com
6119 State Farm Drive     Phone: 707 586-0551 x 1102
Rohnert Park CA  94928    Fax: 707 586-1884