Don.  I don't cover these steps, because they are fairly in depth.  You can
call an API to validate a restricted state.  What GO SAVE 21 does, is that
it issues the ENDSBS *ALL *IMMED command repeatedly.  It should get no
monitorable messages on the first time.  Then it loops every n seconds (I
think 5, but it could be 15) and retries the same command.  If the system
is not yet in a restricted state, ENDSBS *ALL *IMMED on the retries should
generate a CPF1035 exception.  When it fails to issue that exception,
that's when the system is in a restricted state.

You can retrieve this code from the program QMNSAVE, but trust me, this is
not CL for beginners.  It is very sophisticated CL code.  It was written by
a very bright programmer in Rochester, Colin Williamson.

All of the above facts are from memory.  The system's powered down, and I'm
going to the beach.  It's a gorgeous day in the Northeast.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

                    Don
                    <dr2@cssas400.com>        To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
                    Sent by:                  cc:
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       Subject:     Re: Save System
question
                    drange.com

                    09/08/01 12:33 PM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

I would caution that Al's statement could be understating the facts for
the less than savvy systems person...

Al, don't you cover these steps/cmds in your Common presentation?

midrange-l@midrange.com
>                     com>                      cc:
>                     Sent by:                  Subject:     Re: Save
System question