Does it fail ever in debug?

Are you up-to-date on PTF's and release?

Are you sending one mail at a time or are you calling the api with multiple
recipients at a time?

It took me a while to get the multiple recipients at a time part working
correctly.  If you're doing it this way perhaps there is a problem with how
you're building the recipient datastructure?

Phil