Didn't the Road Map for migrating from CISC to RISC have a good data
collection area?  Like printing out all sorts of things like:  System
Values, PTF's, network attributes, etc.  I think the backup/restore manual
does a pretty good job of listing some of these out if you are doing
something like a complete restore in a situation in which your first
machine isn't quite dead yet.  (We just used this to migrate from one model
and S/N of a 400 to another.)  We didn't have any problems but I seem to
remember getting a pile of paper about a knee deep when I did the roadmap.
The backup and restore guide seemed to be much shorter.

Rob Berendt

==================
A smart person learns from their mistakes,
but a wise person learns from OTHER peoples mistakes.

                    Chuck Morehead
                    <cbmorehead@nokuse.       To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
                    com>                      cc:
                    Sent by:                  Fax to:
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       Subject:     Re: Damaged objects
                    drange.com

                    09/06/2001 11:22 AM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

Neil,

Your email doesn't say whether or not you've spoken to IBM about this
problem.  I would suggest doing so first.  If they have a fix it could save
you a lot of time and headaches.

I had to do this about 3 years ago.  We had major problems that prevented a
machine from IPL'ing.  IBM finally said that they did not know what the
cause was, but they guessed the OS had been corrupted.  We could wait for
their analysis of a system dump (taken via DST) to see if they could figure
out what was wrong, or reinstall the OS.  They figured about 80% chance
this
would resolve the problem - and it did.

I'll make a few points:
1.  Each case is different, so you want to take as many precautions as
possible.
2.  Manual install - you do _NOT_ want to attempt an automatic here.
3.  I would recommend a full system save, i.e. make sure all of your data
is
backed up first.
4.  I would also recommend recording as much information about your system
configuration as possible before this procedure.
5.  Good luck!

As an aside, unless my mind has blocked the memory, I don't recall any big
problems coming up when we did this.  That is, our original problem was
severe, the resolution was drastic, but given that it went very smoothly.

Chuck