I was wondering the same, whether this only works with reel tapes.  If
so, it seems odd that IBM chose to leave the help text I referenced
unchanged (even on our V4R4 box!), without at least some note that this
only works for reel (or non-7208?) tapes.  I mean, really, who uses reel
tapes for backing up their AS/400 anymore?

Regardless, it seems odd that this is an issue with any tape drive,
don'tcha think?  Go to sequence# 11 on the tape, ignore what's there,
and start writing.  What's so hard about that?

<sigh>  Making a mountain out of a molehill, I guess.

Dan "there's just gotta be a way!" Bale
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company
248-362-4400  Ext. 4952