This morning, someone at one of our remote branches inadvertantly
ejected the backup tape on our V3R7 system before it was finished
backing up a save file via SAVSAVFDTA.  Strangely enough, a DSPTAP of
the tape shows the ten libraries that were saved normally via the SAVLIB
that runs prior to the SAVSAVFDTA.  It also shows sequence number 11 for
the library being saved via SAVSAVFDTA, but the Date Created and
Expiration Date are from the save that occurred last week.  This may or
may not be a moot point...

I attempted to restart the SAVSAVFDTA.  First, I cancelled the backup
job that had the message waiting because the tape had been ejected.
Then I submitted:
     SAVSAVFDTA SAVF(AOSLIB$SFL/AOSLIB$SAV)
       DEV(TAP03) VOL('TUE1W1' 'TUE2W1') SEQNBR(11)
       ENDOPT(*LEAVE) CLEAR(*ALL) EXPDATE(083001)
       COMPACT(*DEV) OUTPUT(*PRINT)

Note: This save would fill up the remaining portion of TUE1W1 and
continue to TUE2W1.  According to the help text on SAVSAVFDTA's CLEAR
parameter, specifically the *ALL option:

    If tapes are used and a sequence number is specified on the SEQNBR

    parameter, the first tape is cleared beginning at that sequence
number.
    All tapes following that first tape are completely cleared.

Using this information, I presumed that using CLEAR(*ALL) & SEQNBR(11)
would enable the save command to overwrite whatever was sitting at that
spot on the tape.  However, when I submitted this command, I got message
CPF4249, which states:
 Message . . . . :   File sequence number 11 already exists on volume
TUE1W1.
 Cause . . . . . :   File sequence number 11 already exists on volume
TUE1W1,
  and the device TAP03 is a 7208 type tape device. After a tape volume
has
  been initialized, this type of tape device can only add files to the
end of
  the volume.  Therefore, a sequence number cannot be specified which
already
  exists on the volume. Recovery  . . . :   Specify a sequence number
(SEQNBR)
  one larger than the last file on the volume with the Override Tape
File
  (OVRTAPF) command, or load the correct volume on the tape device and
try the
  operation again.

Why is the 7208 "picked on" here?  More importantly, is there a way I
can clear SEQuence NumBeR 11 on that tape so that I can run the
SAVSAVFDTA?

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company