Wow...   you know, there is not a shadow of a doubt in my mind that the
AS/400 is a "closed system".   The REAL question is, "is that a bad
thing?"

Lets say you wanted to write your own operating system to replace
OS/400.  What kind of hoops would you have to jump through to get THAT
kind of info from IBM?   Or couldn't get get them at all?

Or how about writing a device driver for some piece of hardware you'd
like to sell, independent of IBM...   at *BEST* you'd have to be a
registered business partner, at *WORST* you wouldn't be allowed to at all.

When I'm writing a program on my FreeBSD system (which *is* open) I can
ask myself "hmmm... how much work does the system do when I call the
read() function?  Is it better to optimize the code so that I don't
have to call it as frequently?"  And then I can look at the source code
for the read() function and see EXACTLY what it has to go through, and
how efficient it is...   I can even recompile the whole operating
system with debugging symbols included, and use a debugger to go step
by step through the OS code, just as I can do with STRDBG on my RPG
code...

Are these good things or bad things?   This closed-ness to the iSeries
architecture has ensured the stability of the system.  It would be very
easy to argue that a "closed system" is a "stable system"

But, there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that the AS/400 is a
closed system.   It's VERY MUCH a closed system.