Title: RE: USEOPTBLK effect on which drives?

Hi Sue!  Is H.A. your middle name?  <g>  Is the fishin' good in Silverlake?

Speed is not as much a factor as is the desire/goal/requirement to get the backup done on two tapes and not three.  I risk alienating the users who now have to put in a second tape first thing in the morning if I tell them that there's now a third tape to deal with every day.

Unless we reach a crisis point with our ability to do a complete backup, there will be no further hardware expenditures.  The best I may be able to do is to switch a 7208-222 from one of our other boxes with the 7208-012 on the capacity-challenged machine so that I can use 7GB cartridges as opposed to the 5GB's.

COMPACT(*YES) brings a syntax error at V3R7.  The only valid values are *DEV and *NO.  I use the default value of *DEV.  According to the V4R5 system handbook, it appears that the 7208-012 supports both the HDC (Hardware Data Compression) and the IDRC (Improved Data Recording Capability) compaction algorithm.  But HDC seems reliant on the IOP; do all of the IOP attachments for the 7208-012 support HDC?  (FWIW, it appears that we are using IOP #2621.)  Also the compaction algorithm appears to be dependent on the tape subsystem controller; is this "built-in" to the tape drive hardware?

*IF* our 7208-012 supports both HDC & IDRC, am I getting the maximum capacity by specifying DTACPR(*YES) & COMPACT(*DEV) ?

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company
248-362-4400  Ext. 4952