From: Bale, Dan [mailto:D.Bale@handleman.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2001 4:44 PM
To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
Subject: RE: ads.midrange.com

Thanks for a great tip, Sean.  But I really don't want to cut David (or more to the point, the list) out of ad revenue (which I presume this would do) that enables him to keep the lists free of cost and free of ads in the list emails.  (I suppose, though, that if the site is completely unresponsive and it looks like ads. is holding it up, and I really need to find something "yesterday", then I might be inclined to try it.)

And, look, I get to turn this into a genuine midrange related question!

When I opened up my HOSTS file in the Windows folder, I was a little surprised that one of our AS/400s had two entries, one for its Host name and one for its System name.  I went to a DOS window and tried FTP xxxxxx for both the Host name and System name, and it opened a connection to the same AS/400.  All of our other AS/400s appear with only the reference to the System name, which is Snnnnnnn, where nnnnnnn is the system serial number.  The Host names are easier to recall, so I will add these to the HOSTS file as well!

What is the format of the entries in the HOSTS file?  Is it strictly IP address followed by a name?  Are there other options?

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company
248-362-4400  Ext. 4952