  • Subject: RE: FTP
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:12:45 -0500

If both systems are running TCPIP and FTP, and have firewalls, then why are
they not communicating to each other using these instead of dial up SNA
lines?  Or, are the firewalls just for internal users only?

And yes there are some people using PPP for TCP dialup.  Probably using the
same ports and modems as you are using for SNA on the 400's in question.
Would you like info on this?

Are you seriously looking to use TCP, or are you trying to justify your
current SNA setup?  Because I like to help, but I will not waste any time
getting into an argument in which both sides have mouths, but no ears.  I
am not saying this in anger.  Sometimes I can't pick up emotion via email.
I am just trying to read intentions.

Rob Berendt

==================
A smart person learns from their mistakes,
but a wise person learns from OTHER peoples mistakes.

                    tomh@simas.com

                    Sent by:                  To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com

                    owner-midrange-l@mi       cc:

                    drange.com                Subject:     RE: FTP

                    08/09/2001 10:47 AM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

I connect to a client system using STRPASTHR, and transfer files via SNA.
We vary on our lines, start QSNADS, then my STRPASTHR dials his system
using POTS (plain ol' telephone service).  Both systems run TCPIP, FTP, the
works, and are hidden behind firewalls.

Can I use TCPIP over dialup to achieve the same functionality?

Tom Hightower
Solutions, Inc
http://www.simas.com
------------
If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed... oh, wait -
he does.

   "DeLong, Eric"
   <EDeLong@Sallybeauty.com>            To:
   Sent by:                     "'MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com'"
   owner-midrange-l@midrange.co <MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>
   m                                    cc:

   08/09/01 10:23 AM
   Please respond to MIDRANGE-L

I disagree (in part). While we still use SNADS for some legacy
applications,
my experience is that FTP is much faster than SNADS even over the same type
of line.  I recently did some informal benchmarking on file transfers
between hosts. I sent a file from a little 170 in Macon, GA, over 128kbps
frame relay to our 730 production box in Denton, TX, in half the time it
took to transfer the file from the 730 to our hot site across town via
SNADS. Snads would win the reliability prize IF the line between the boxes
is reliable, but given the situation, I think TCP/IP would handle a noisy
line or brief drop-outs better than SNA, without all the line recovery that
SNA requires. Also, TCP/IP is more efficient given the same bandwidth.

JMHO,

Eric DeLong
Sally Beauty Company
MIS-Sr. Programmer/Analyst