  • Subject: security AGGRAVATION: renaming *devd
  • From: "Bale, Dan" <D.Bale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 13:45:54 -0400

This is a continuing thorn in our side.  We've got system operators on
the other side of the pond (the Atlantic) that we have wanted to give
the necessary authority to work with device configurations as needed.
The user profile has the following attributes:
  User class . . . . . . . . . :   *SYSOPR
  Special authority  . . . . . :   *JOBCTL
                                   *SAVSYS
  Group profile  . . . . . . . :   LTEIT
  Owner  . . . . . . . . . . . :   *USRPRF
  Group authority  . . . . . . :   *NONE
  Group authority type . . . . :   *PRIVATE

The profile of group LTEIT shows:
  User class . . . . . . . . . :   *SYSOPR
  Special authority  . . . . . :   *IOSYSCFG
                                   *JOBCTL
                                   *SAVSYS
                                   *SPLCTL
  Group profile  . . . . . . . :   *NONE
  Owner  . . . . . . . . . . . :   *USRPRF

The system operator has tried to rename a device description that was
created via autoconfig.  He was able to vary it off, but 7=Rename was
rejected:
CPF2189: Not authorized to object DSP02 in QSYS type *DEVD.

The object authority for the device description was created as:
  TB07 (the owner) . . . . :   *ALL
  *PUBLIC  . . . . . . . . :   *CHANGE

When I changed *PUBLIC to have *ALL authority, the system operator was
then able to rename the device description.  However, this also opens up
the ability for any user to do this as well.  Which is a no-no.  I
mistakenly thought that *IOSYSCFG would be necessary to do anything
related to configuring devices.  I tested this using a test profile
created as follows:
  User class . . . . . . . . . :   *USER
  Special authority  . . . . . :   *NONE
  Group profile  . . . . . . . :   *NONE
  Owner  . . . . . . . . . . . :   *USRPRF

So, what's the magic combination needed to give our system operators the
ability to work with device configuration and keep end-users from doing
so?  Note that we do not give anyone *ALLOBJ authority.

And, is this question specifically answered in any IBM reference?  Seems
like we get occasional gotcha's caused by the combination of user
authority and object authority.

TIA.

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400