  • Subject: Re: AW: DASD problems
  • From: bdietz@xxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 10:46:41 -0400

How about pitching a fit to IBM and getting them to replace ALL your
drives.

Bryan Dietz

                    oliver.wenzel@cibavision.no

                    vartis.com                        To:
MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
                    Sent by:                          cc:

                    owner-midrange-l@midrange.c       Subject:     AW: DASD
problems
                    om

                    08/03/2001 04:53 AM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

Hello,

as we don't see a short-term solution to the disk problem, one of my
colleagues just came up with an interesting
idea:

We had 20 drives with a serial number of 33-xxx. 6 drives have been
replaced
with 68-/75-xxx serial numbers.
Those new drives have had no problems (yet).

Now how about creating a mirror configuration with a new 68-xx drive and an
old 33-xxx for each mirror pair?
Assuming that the new drives are okay, this would decrease the chance of a
faulty mirror pair.

We would only need 4 new drives, and I guess, we could do it online.

'What do you think,

Best Regards,

Oliver Wenzel