Joe,
    You are confused because you think that people who complain about a
"problem" want a solution to it. Some people simply want the problem.
    In this case, there really isn't a problem. So pointing out how many
options there are to avoid being in the pricing category they are in is just
spitting in the wind.
    On the one hand, it is good for customers to complain when they feel
they are being overcharged. IBM will want to take this in consideration. But
IBM will also consider what it costs for them to provide what is being sold.
    Remember that the protest you are reading effectively says, "I don't
like the way that IBM charges for the services I want, so I am going to go
to a provider who does not provide those services at all." What kind of a
purchasing decision is that? Does it take into account any real factors? The
cost to own the system they have vs. the cost of the new platform? The cost
to move? No. Only a fool would make a purchasing decision like that. You
can't use logic to convince a fool that they are mistaken. IBM's job is to
make sure that if the purchasing decisions are made for the right reasons
and comparisons are done then the iSeries is still a good choice. If it
costs more to provide what the AS/400 offers than the market is willing to
pay for it, then there isn't a choice and the AS/400 will fade.

Chris Rehm
javadisciple@earthlink.net
If you believe that the best technology wins the
marketplace, you haven't been paying attention.