  • Subject: Re: AS/400
  • From: John Rockwell <midson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 09:00:59 -0700

William,

You can add my name to the list of people who will probably vote to scrap the
AS400
when we buy our next machine sometime during the coming months, and it will be
largely
because of that governor.  For people who have a hard time understanding why,
I'll
offer this analogy.

Rush hour traffic on the beltway around Atlanta averages 45 mph during the work
week.
My Chrylser Neon could handle that just fine, but once a month I try to squeeze
in a
trip down to Key West.  Since my business in Atlanta is getting busier and
busier the
window for my trip is getting smaller and smaller.  That's why I went out and
bought a
Dodge Viper.  The dealer said it could deal with the slow beltway traffic just
find and
then never drop below a 150 when I wanted to zip down to Key West.  Well, one
day I got
on the beltway and there was almost no traffic since it was a government
holiday.  I
stepped on the pedal and couldn't get it past 45.  All of the other cars on the
beltway
were zipping past me in their PC cars.  That's because the dealer had neglected
emphasize that although my new viper could easily go faster than 150, it could
only do
that once a month.  They'd put a governor on it to make sure of that.  The PC
cars
didn't have any such constraint.  They could go as fast as they wanted whenever
they
wanted without their car manufacturers putting any artificial limits on them.
Next
time I'm getting a PC car.

To translate, the trip around the beltway is my daily interactive load, the
trip to Key
West is my heavy batch-oriented monthend processing.  I had to buy more
horsepower to
get the monthend process to finish in time.  It wasn't made obvious to me that
during
the rest of the month that extra horsepower (80% of the CPU) would have to sit
idle
because I wasn't going to use it the way IBM wanted me to.  In the past I'd
always been
able to allocate the processing power however I wanted to.  So while in the
past I
might have looked stupid to the PC world for staying loyal to RPG and the
AS400, this
is the first time I've ever looked stupid to myself for doing so.  Thus,
another RPGer
becomes a non-RPGer, and the loyal user base shrinks by one thanks to CFINT.