  • Subject: Re: Midrange Computing is liquidating.
  • From: Neil Palmer <neilp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 21:55:07 -0400

Until they, like IIR with Midrange Computing, decide that it isn't
generating ENOUGH profit !   ;-)

As an aside, I'd like to see the business plan that shows how long they
expect it to take to recoup the BILLION dollars they are reportedly
investing this year in Linux.  Although when you think about it, I guess
it's just going to end up helping Global Services make money hand over
fist the way they do with NT - doing what the iSeries already does -
integrating the system and applications and keeping them up and running.
And no need to quote me any "statistics" on how Linux doesn't require
that.  It may not for the techies, and organizations large enough to be
able to afford to employ them, but you can't tell me the average Ma & Pa
small business is going to find Linux as easy to run as OS/400.  IBM sees
the growth is in services, not hardware, and iSeries - OS/400 does not fit
into that future very well because it doesn't generate huge services
revenues like operating systems that were designed for a toy computer, or
designed by drug crazed hippies from the 60's on acid trips, do.
(As we all know, those fine upstanding people in Minnesota who designed
CPF back in the 60's didn't ingest anything more dangerous than corn and
John Hardy's Bar-B-Q).

No insult intended to any hippies from the 60's who may now be fine
upstanding members of the midrange community !  ;-)

...Neil

"Chris Rehm" <javadisciple@earthlink.net>
Sent by: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com
2001/07/28 20:14