  • Subject: Re: Is CFINT IBM's way of getting rid of RPG?
  • From: John Rockwell <midson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 13:47:50 -0700

When we upgraded to an 820 we were told we were getting the exact same CPW
rating
of 120, which we did.  We weren't told that due to the CFINT algorithm change,
the upgraded box wouldn't handle our interactive workload the same way it did
before.  CFINT and RPG are definitely connected and that connection is via the
5250 emulation.  If legacy systems rely on this emulation for their interactive
sessions and CFINT suddenly starts crimping this emulation, then we've got a
problem.  Judging from the discussion thread taking place under 'CFINT' we're
not
the only ones.  As far as it penalizing other languages, COBOL is the only other
one on the AS400 that would have had enough time to build up a significant
repository of legacy systems to be hurt by this.  Getting rid of COBOL on the
AS400 probably wouldn't bother IBM either, but I think it's more important to
them that they gradually get rid of RPG.  It's the RPG programmers that are
making it hard to break from the past and get a reputation for being a leading
edge vendor.

As for IBM spending its development dollars enhancing RPG, that's where the
'gradual' part comes in.