> Chris,
>
> This part of your argument I have a hard time understanding.  Isn't this
> exactly the same with OS/400?  There are a whole bunch of things bundled
in
> with it and if I want to use another product instead then I have to go buy
> that in addition.  When I purchase OS/400 I am paying for things that I
> don't use or need, and sometimes I buy an replacement product because I
like
> it better.  My purchase of OS/400 is supporting products that I don't
want!
> Are you saying that it is ok for IBM to do this but not for Microsoft????
> just can't find the difference between the two, I could substitute IBM in
> your argument above and it would be just as true.
>
> Scott Mildenberger

First, it isn't exactly true. Well, I really haven't bought (or sold) a 400
in a few years so maybe it is true now. But second, if it were true then it
really isn't illegal because IBM does not have a monopoly on the application
server market.

Now, when I was selling AS/400s I recall selecting a ton of feature codes
when picking out a system. Feature codes to add OfficeVision, or add SQL, or
add ADTS, or add programming languages, or whatever. Are you saying that
these feature codes are now just rolled into the purchase of OS/400? I know
that since IBM is no longer under their consent decree, they could if they
wanted.

When IBM did have a monopoly, they did control the market through bundling,
they were sued by the Justice Department, and they were ordered to stop
bundling as per a consent decree. That decree expired in '98 I think it was.

The difference is that with the AS/400 I have a choice. I can choose to
implement a different application server (and some people have!). But with
Windows, a business does not really have a choice. But surely I could buy a
Mac or get a Linux box! right? Well, that is not really a choice and I don't
want to get hip deep in this part too. Let's just say that me and some of
the judges have been confused into thinking that Microsoft has a monopoly
and that is why we think it really isn't a choice.

Chris Rehm
javadisciple@earthlink.net
If you believe that the best technology wins the
marketplace, you haven't been paying attention.