  • Subject: RE: no Java in XP Windows
  • From: Scott Mildenberger <Smildenber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 09:39:29 -0600

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Chris Rehm [mailto:javadisciple@earthlink.net]
> Sent: Friday, July 20, 2001 8:48 AM
> To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
> Subject: Re: no Java in XP Windows

s certainly there, and you have the opportunity to buy it.

> But John, I have already been forced to buy IE, right? When I
> paid for my
> OS, I was forced to pay for the browser delivered with it. I
> had no choice
> at all. So now you would like me to go and buy another
> solution as well. And
> if there was a product for me to buy that I felt was worth
> using, I surely
> would buy it. But I'd feel pretty ripped off because I was
> forced to buy IE
> anyway, right?
>
> So you feel I am dishonest because I am using the things I
> have been forced
> to buy? John, what you are saying is that you are fine with
> the fact that I
> am forced to support the software you want. That is the nature of our
> disagreement on this issue. I have no qualms at all about
> allowing you to
> continue to buy every crummy product MS wants to push into
> the market. But I
> want the option of buying better products _instead_ .

Chris,

This part of your argument I have a hard time understanding.  Isn't this
exactly the same with OS/400?  There are a whole bunch of things bundled in
with it and if I want to use another product instead then I have to go buy
that in addition.  When I purchase OS/400 I am paying for things that I
don't use or need, and sometimes I buy an replacement product because I like
it better.  My purchase of OS/400 is supporting products that I don't want!
Are you saying that it is ok for IBM to do this but not for Microsoft????  I
just can't find the difference between the two, I could substitute IBM in
your argument above and it would be just as true.

Scott Mildenberger