  • Subject: RE: no Java in XP Windows
  • From: "Daniel Wesloskie" <dwesloskie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 13:20:35 -0400

Chris,

I see your point, and I think you are correct.  When a former employer moved
from MODCOMP to a Sys/38, there had to be some real compelling reasons for
such a move.  There wasn't a single application that could be used from the
old system.  I have only been compelled to move to another OS once.  It was
because I was upgrading one of my applications and I wasn't buying new
hardware.  I was using CorelDraw 3.0 and needed to upgrade to version 6.0.
The only problem, it ran on Windows 95 and I was still on DOS 5.0.
CorelDraw
was my main application, if it ran on OS/400, I would have upgraded to that
OS.

I upgraded to W95 and brought along all of my old applications.  Everything
was working fine.  It reminded me of when, way back in the fall of '88, I
was involved in moving from a Sys/38 to AS/400.  I didn't lose any
applications
there either.  As long as I don't lose any data and can access all of my
files,
I don't really care what OS I have.  Every computer I have, came with an OS
on
it, whether it was DOS, Windows or OS/400 and I did not worry about removing
it to go to another.  I don't even know what OS is in my DirecTV receiver.
I do know that I turn it on and it does everything I want it to, including
internet access.  I don't have the slightest urge to switch the OS on it.

You are right though, if you are going to buy a new system, buy the one with
the OS that will run the most if not all of your applications.  I don't see
anything that would compel a Unix, Windows or OS/400 user to switch from
their current OS to either of these if you have to dump all of your
applications to do it.  They're just operating systems.

Dan