  • Subject: RE: no Java in XP Windows
  • From: "jt" <jt@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:09:32 -0400

Tom,

Thank you for your reply.

See comments inline (>>)

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com
[mailto:owner-midrange-l@midrange.com]On Behalf Of thomas@inorbit.com
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2001 12:39 AM
To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com

Jt:

On Wed, 18 July 2001, "jt" wrote:

> I emphasized the point it was an intellectual monopoly because IMHO it can
> only be remedied partially through any court decision. The best remedy
> being good marketing of a superior product.

I think this requires much elaboration. Win98 is certainly superior to
Win95, but I sure don't see how the marketing of it in any way remedies the
illegal monopoly.

>>I believe the answer is simple in concept, but difficult to actually bring
into being.

>> I believe the iSeries Nation can beat the Gentle Giant in Redmond...;-)

But since you were obviously referring to products from other developers,
then how would it be possible to effect a remedy when the competing
developers had no useful ability to create superior products without the
knowledge of internals that was often kept secret? Response times might be
better, graphics might look better, etc., etc.; but something like an
undocumented backdoor that gets you around a rare but minor DDE glitch would
be enough of an advantage.

Various other difficulties existed. Marketing would be tough and 'superior'
hard to demonstrate.

>> Very true...  Very, very true...

BTW, I also believe the iNation can enlighten the lemmings in the
FSF/OSI/Linux movement...;-)

Maybe even cause Sun to wake up and smell the coffee...;-)

The details of my best guess how to do this are found in the thread "Evis
(aka Elvis...;-) has left the building".

Two points to emphasize regarding that post:

1) For best results, pick your leaders on their ability to:
1) listen
2) ask questions
3) comment
4) act
IN THAT ORDER.  I've followed the principle READY...  FIRE...!  aim... a
time or two myself (for example, my last reply to Leif's question...;-)  In
my experience, that don't work real often...

2) Who's going to make the first move?  I'd have no way of knowing, since
THERE ARE NO CRYSTAL BALLS.  But how to make the first move is simple:  You
act according to what you firmly believe in.  You do this NOT THOUGHTLESSLY,
but without TOO MUCH THOUGHT.  I believe that one can't control one's
destiny, but if you understand you control half your destiny, you're a leg
up on everybody who doesn't.  Then you act accordingly.

Thanks again, Tom, for the questions.

Jt  (aka James Jay Toran...;-)