  • Subject: RE: Hypothetical
  • From: "jt" <jt@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 07:56:46 -0400

Ken,

IMHO, the best line of technology to pursue would be whatever follow-on
product IBM offers.  I don't believe they will abandon a lucrative market.
The only question is whether the follow-on will get the advantage of
sufficient funding (for marketing and R & D to keep up with new
technologies) or whether it will stagnate and be in the same class as the
S/36 product line is today.

Is the question: what if the IBM midrange doesn't get funding to keep up,
and your business has IT needs the 400 can't supply, then what should you
do?  If this is the question (and some would say this is, in fact, the
current situation) then I'd say you should look at the specific business
need, and go with the platform that provides the best solution for that
need.

If the 400 goes by the wayside (technologically speaking) then IMHO nobody
will have a good option to concentrate on one particular platform.  If that
happens, I think you'll be forced to go the "mix-and-match" approach, which
many in the industry seem content to follow these days.

jt