  • Subject: Re: iNation privleges offer or Tax?
  • From: Douglas Handy <dhandy1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 11:45:59 -0400

Brad,

>Semantics.

That very much depends on what involvment IBM had, if any.  I was under the
impression this CD was strictly produced by the BP.  If IBM underwrote the
production, then it certainly changes the picture.

>But you still have to lead them to water before they'll drink.  And we
>shouldn't be doing the leading.  The person with the product should be.

With "should" being the operative word.  I thought the whole point of this
exercise was that IBM *hasn't* been doing this effectively enough for our
collective taste.

So it comes back to leading them to the proverbial water.  But who does the
leading and how?  It's great to wave your hand and say IBM should do it.

Or to say a CD side show isn't necessary -- you can just demo the machine
itself.  But that presumes you can lead them that far.    The CD can be watched
by someone who you may not be able to get to a demo -- say while an exec is
traveling.

>They will make money.

It would take lots of CD sales to turn something into a profit center.  It is
not the cost of copying the CD.  It is the cost of producing the material, which
can by very expensive.  I haven't seen the CD, so can't comment on whether this
is a high-quality production or the type of thing you'd expect late at night on
TV when peddling some shoe-string budget widget.

It is hard to imagine that a few sales from iCitizens will make or break the
production costs of a high-quality production.  If IBM was underwriting the
production costs, that changes the equation too.

>And it will also draw money in the form of more business for them,

But that is different then saying they will make money from the CD itself.  Of
course advertising is intended to generate (or keep) business.

>It's advertising, and having people
>pay for it.  It's really brilliant, actually.

Reminds me of going to the World of Coke museum in Atlanta, where you get to pay
several dollars just to see all their advertising...

>> And isn't that exactly what this BP did?
>
>Oh please....

So what was (is?) IBM's involvement in this CD?  Did IBM commission it? Co-opt
the production costs?  Just like it when the BP was done?

Doug