  • Subject: RE: Free OS/400
  • From: "Alistair Rooney" <AlistairR@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 09:30:52 +0200

Title: RE: Free OS/400

Bob,

With a good deal of respect, I have to say your wrong on a few counts here. Firstly I have seen some amazing business applications running from Video store to large Merchant Banks using Java. If I look at the job scene locally and in Europe there is a huge demand for Java contractors. JavaOne (the annual Java conference) was recently held in CA and the interest was unprecedented, despite the fact that each attendee had to pay over $1000! Java is now on things as diverse as Sony Playstations and cellphones.

I have a friend in Santa Cruz who develops Websphere apps. on the 400 using Java only. (Happy to provide details privately).

A lot of people are front ending their RPG apps with Java. Want a GUI? Use Client/Server. No one I know runs XWindows on their UNIX server.

I'm also fairly sceptical about your 2003 deadline. Unless you have inside information (Something I'm not discounting) I doubt even IBM could be dense enough to kill off something that earns a huge chunk for big blue.

All new stuff is based on the C language? I'm not sure what you mean by "All new stuff". You surely don't mean ALL new stuff?

C# is a backward step in my opinion. It's Java with the C baggage added back in. Baggage that James Gosling carefully weeded out.

Your marketing comments though are right on the button though!

My HO,

Alistair