  • Subject: Re: fireproof backups
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 13:24:16 EDT

Seems to me there will be a heat build up INSIDE due to operations & you need
to get that heat OUT of the vault.  A fan inside just circulates air that is
getting progressively hotter - you need some kind of refrigeration service to
compensate.

But at the same time the system must NOT let heat IN from outside in case of
fire.

So far all discussion, that I have read, has been on assurances that there
will not be heat going IN from outside, but none on how the heat inside from
normal operations gets removed.

This notion has got to be rather expensive compared to services which pick up
backup media & take them to some off-site storage, which I consider to be
more expensive than trusting your own employees to get it right.

The latter system is what I have used for 40 years at various employers.
This approach was a serious challenge prior to the era of co-workers owning
personal computers.  Someone who has a personal computer & does their own
backups has an understanding of magnetic media & proper storage and transport
of it that was almost imposssible to get through to people 20 years ago.

Yes we share jokes about people using PCs who don't get it.
Does your PC have a cup holder?  (CD Rom drive)
However, in my experience, such individuals are in the minority of computer
users, and come about because NO ONE has given them any briefing on how to
use their equipment & they have had to struggle how to figure out things on
their own & the humor is driven from their first contact with professional
help.
Prior to the era of popularity of home PCs, everyone outside of IT was that
way.

All my personal anecdotes about mishandling of backup media in transit from
work to off site & back again were when the person doing the transporting did
not have a personal computer or an office computer, so what we trying to tell
them about proper handling was really alien to their experiences.